Friday, February 28, 2014

Cutting aluminum can with dies.

Have you ever experimented with cutting different materials?
Well, I have been curious. As a Graphic Designer at Dies Direct, I see lots of different uses for the dies and requests on people asking if a die will cut what they need it to. So, here is what I am doing....I am going to experiment on my own, with what my dies can and can't cut. First up on the list, Aluminum can.

You might say, a can going through a die cutting machine, that won't work. So, don't be silly, I am cutting the can first. First, I stabbed a hole along the top neck of the can with a little peering knife, because it is my sharpest knife. Once I had a hole made, I put in my scissors and cut off the top, then down the spine, and around the bottom.

It really was easy to cut, I used kid scissors actually. Now I came to the conclusion that the can is round, how can I flatten it? So I put in the eBosser to see if it would flatten it. it didn't work, this was as flat as it got after a few times in the machine.


I just went for it, I put the die on it and put it through. I tried it without the 'E' plate, first because I wasn't sure if the can would cause too much tension. You really only need the right amount of tension to be successful, to much tension to often will break your machine. The final outcome was that no E plate, didn't work. So I tried it again with the E plate and wow it worked.


 The die cut was more vibrant and sturdier than a paper cut. I fell in love right away. I just had to cut them all and see what will happen. The butterfly here has pierce points and they did pierce.
 I am so excited to show you all this fantastic crafting idea. An aluminum can. You could really emphasis your card by showing them they are a real Squirt or you have a Crush on them.
 Perhaps, even use a beer can.
 What will I cut next.......stay tuned..........

No comments:

Post a Comment