Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Really Awesome Homemade Shelf for $0

While being a mother of three young children, the newest being only two months old; I like to find cheap and fun things to do. I really don't like spending money and love creating things. While I am running my own company, Crafty Little Designs, working full time at Cheery Lynn Designs and raising a family, it was really hard finding some time for a project.

What you need:
Dies, which ever theme of a decoration your aiming for
All kinds of pretty decorative paper
Random broken pretty things ( I have these once were shower hooks butterflies
Ribbon
Fishing wire thread
Paint
Glue, all kinds of glue depending on heavy duty you might need
Wall Braces, about two for each shelf
Something for a shelf, how about really thick cardboard circles(like I'll show you)

At work, as it is a manufacture of dies and other metal things like signs and photometals; we get in a lot of packing materials.
Something comes on these big circles made of really thick cardboard. Well I asked and took a few home.

Here's a look at the finished project:
 I started off with some paint I actually picked up for free when Ace Hardware was giving away a quart of free paint. I went in and got a purple , then my husband when in and got a green. I've been using these paints on more than one project. It comes in handy getting your kids favorite colors.
 Then I cut a few strips of different ribbons and a hole bunch of dies, in all different papers. I assembled some flowers using the brads and they easily pierced through the ribbon to hold them on.
 With the thread....I used a needle and pierced through the butterflies and tied them off. Then on the front of the shelf, I sewed it to the ribbon, while on the back, I sewed it into a tiny piece of scrap paper and then glued the paper to the back of the shelf. Making sure the paper was small enough not to show past the edge.
 I used Epoxy to glue on the big broken butterflies. For everything else, I used Martha Stewart's clear craft glue.
All along the top half of the circle shelf, I used my four Crafty Little Designs dies, for sale at craftylittledesigns.com.
I added embellishments throughout.
Hope you have fun making something out of nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment